Welcome to Driver Education! We're looking forward to serving your student. The State of South Dakota requires every driver education student completes 30-hours of classroom instruction and 6-hours of driving instruction with an 80% or higher grade in order to successfully complete this course. Failure to meet this standard will disallow the student from receiving the Driver Education Certificate of Completion, which will result in the student having to take the written and/or driving test at a SD driver exam station. STUDENT SHOULD BE 14 YEARS OLD OR OLDER AT THE TIME CLASS BEGINS. Please enter your student's birth date in their profile if you register online. The course cost is $299, payable upon registration.
• Dates shown for each class is the 30-hours of classroom portion of the course. Note: once the student successfully completes the classroom portion, they can obtain their instructional permit without testing at a SD Driver Exam station with their signed 'classroom' certificate.
• The 6-hours of drive time is scheduled outside of the classroom. Accommodating the instructor/student schedules means this portion could take several months to complete.
• Once driving schedules are established, students are required to attend their sessions, with NO exception to this policy, except an emergency.
• It is strongly preferred the student have their Instructional Permit prior to the driving portion, allowing them to legally practice driving, increase comfort level behind the wheel and promote proper paperwork for future licensing.
• Benefits of the course include: waiver of 95-days of 275-day Instruction Permit holding period; no testing at the Driver Exam station upon successful completion; guided practice with State certified instructors; and insurance discounts at most major companies.
• Withdrawals and Refunds: Due to the limited enrollment in Drivers Education classes, a $20 processing fee will be charged for cancelling or rescheduling from the class. To cancel or reschedule, you must notify the Career Learning Center, 394-5120, at least 3 business days before the class begins.